This recipe is easy and delicious if you are after a hearty stew topped with a mash of root vegetables. This is a healthier version of the old shepard’s pie. Lentils are a good source of vegetarian or vegan protein, fibre and iron with less fat than lamb or beef.
– 1 onion diced fine
– 2 garlic cloves diced fine
– 2 carrots diced
– 2 celery stalks diced
– 1/2 red capsicum diced
– 1 tin organic brown lentils rinsed and drained
– 2 Tbsp organic tomato paste
– 1 cup water
– 1 Tbsp brewer’s yeast
– pinch of himalayan pink salt and pepper
Soften vegetables in a pot with olive oil. Add lentils, tomato paste and water and stir well. Stir in brewer’s yeast and season to taste. Simmer untilthickened nicely and transfer to oven proof dish.
– 2 medium potatoes diced
– 1 parsnip diced
– 1 medium sweet potato peeled and diced
– 1 carrot diced
– olive oil
– a dash of milk of choice (i use soy)
– himalayan salt
Steam vegetables until soft. Mash them with the oil, milk and salt to taste and place on top of the pie. Bake the pie in the oven for 30-40 minutes or until browned.
Eat on it’s own or with steamed greens…..